The Advanced Guide to Fix QuickBooks Error 14106
Every year Intuit release a new and updated version of QuickBooks Desktop. This is done to offer users more advanced and new features to tackle business bookkeeping. If you don’t update your QuickBooks Desktop after three years, all the online services like payroll and banking will be terminated. This makes upgrading necessary. However, some users don’t require online services like payroll and just need the essential features that don’t expire after a specific time to manage their business. If you are also one of the users who has not upgraded your QuickBooks for a long time, you can face issues upgrading now. One error that appears while opening your company file of an older version of QuickBooks in an updated version is QuickBooks error 14106.
In this article, we will learn some quick ways to resolve error 14106 that appears while accessing your company file in a newer version of QuickBooks. For additional help and troubleshooting assistance, you can contact the QuickBooks data support team at +1 800-579-9430
What Causes Error 14106 in QuickBooks Desktop?
As you upgrade your QuickBooks Desktop software from an older version to a later version, your company file also upgrades. This works so that you can open your company file of a version of QuickBooks in an upgraded version, but vice versa is not possible. This statement is only valid if your company file is not very old, say more than ten years old. In case if you try to open your company file that has been created using QuickBooks Desktop 5 version that is more than ten years old, you will not be able to upgrade it directly to the 2021 version.
In the following section, we will see some of the solutions you can try to overcome this issue of accessing the outdated company file in an updated version of QuickBooks Desktop.
You may also Read :- QuickBooks search not working
How to Fix Error Code 14106 in QuickBooks Desktop?
Solution 1: Update your Company File Progressively
- Suppose you have the company file working in QuickBooks version 5. You will first need to install QuickBooks Desktop 2013.
- Download and install QuickBooks Desktop 2013 and open the company file in it.
- When prompted, update your company file using the appropriate options.
- Now remove QuickBooks Desktop 2013 using QuickBooks Clean Install Tool and download the most recent version of QuickBooks Desktop, i.e., QuickBooks Desktop 2021.
- Install QuickBooks Desktop 2021 and open the company file that has been upgraded to the 2013 version.
- Again when prompted, upgrade your company file for the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop and check if you can access all your data in it.
If this solution fails to resolve the error, you might be having some corruption in the company file that you can fix by running QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild data utility.
One more thing that you must keep in mind is the integrity of the data that can be affected in the conversion process. As this is a complex process to convert your company data from a very old version of QuickBooks to the latest version, we suggest you contact the QuickBooks data conversion team for help. You can contact the support team by dialing QuickBooks Data Support Number +1 800-579-9430, and one of the experts will help you resolve QuickBooks error 14106 shortly.