You are here
Easy Methods to Overcome QuickBooks Error 6189
When QuickBooks users fetch their company data through the QuickBooks company file, they might face many error messages while opening the company file. Likewise, one of the errors includes QuickBooks error 6189 that comes up when some user on the same network access the company file. However, the company file error does not affect your data file. When you encounter the issue, QuickBooks Desktop shows the message, “An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816)’. If you are looking for the reasons that prompts the error and the solutions to fix it, read our detailed blog till the end.
For technical guidance related to the QuickBooks Error 6189, speak to one of our certified QuickBooks professionals via our Toll-Free 1.800.579.0391
Reasons for Receiving the Company File Error Message 6189
Error 6189 in QuickBooks Desktop occurs when some user opens the company file. Some other reasons that can trigger error code 6189 in QuickBooks are as follows-
- The workstations are the computer systems connected with the server computer but do not host the company file and in case if they can’t connect to the server, you get error code 6189 while accessing the company file.
- Your company file might be located in a read-only folder which means you cannot work on the file.
Also Read : QuickBooks Error 6000 83
What to do if your QuickBooks is giving error 6189?
If your QuickBooks is unable to open the company file because of error 6189, then follow the steps given below-
SOLUTION 1: Download and Install QuickBooks Tool Hub and Run Quick Fix My Program Tool from it
QuickBooks Tool Hub is an application that fixes some of the most frequently occurring glitches in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Exit QuickBooks if it is already running, and then download the QuickBooks Tool Hub program. Make sure to download the recent version of the application.
- Now, save the ‘QuickBooksToolHub.exe’ file to a location where you can locate it instantaneously.
- To finish the installation process, run the file and follow the instructions prompted by application installer.
- After it completes, run the QuickBooks Tool Hub and go to the ‘Program Problems’ tab.
- Now, click ‘Quick Fix my Program’ and proceed further with the instructions to repair QuickBooks Desktop.
- At last, open QuickBooks Desktop to access your data file.
SOLUTION 2: Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager on Your Server Computer
- Run the QuickBooks Tool Hub application and choose ‘Network Issues’.
- Next, go to ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ and click ‘Start Scan’. As an alternate option, you can also select the ‘Browse’ option to search your company file and then tap ‘Start Scan’.
- Now, the Database Server Manager will set up your Windows firewall permissions if they are incorrect.
- Click ‘Close’ once the scan process completes.
At times, QuickBooks error 6189 can trouble you while accessing the company file. If you are also going through the same issue, try the troubleshooting methods mentioned above. If the error still shows in your QuickBooks Desktop, dial 1.800.579.0391 to have a conversation with our team of QuickBooks assistants to seek help fix the error.
Also Read : QuickBooks Error 6129