You are here
What is Error QuickBooks error 6177 and What to do about it?
QuickBooks error message 6177 usually appears on the screen while opening the QuickBooks desktop application. When the error triggers, the user gets a message, “We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file.” It is the most common 6000 series error that occurs when the company file is moved to another location or QuickBooks is unable to access the company file. QuickBooks error code 6177 0 may also appear with a message, “We’re sorry, QuickBooks encountered a problem.” Continue reading the article to know more about QuickBooks error message 6177, its causes and solutions.
If you need any technical assistance to resolve QuickBooks error 6177, then contact the certified QuickBooks expert’s team by dialing our toll-free number +1-800-579-9430.
What are the causes behind QuickBooks error 6177?
There are numerous reasons behind the error, knowing them will help you choose the correct solution:
- QuickBooks desktop version is no longer supported.
- A virus or malware has attacked the software.
- QuickBooks related files are missing or deleted accidentally.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not installed on the server computer.
Let us proceed to the troubleshooting procedure given below.
Quick Troubleshooting Methods to Fix QuickBooks error 6177
Perform the following troubleshooting methods to get rid of the error:
Method 1. Update QuickBooks to its latest version
If QuickBooks is not updated, follow these steps to update QuickBooks manually:
- Close QuickBooks.
- Select the Windows Start menu.
- Search for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Right-click the icon and choose Run as administrator.
- On the No Company Open window, click on the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Move to the Options tab.
- Choose Mark All and then select Save.
- Click on the Update Now tab and mark the Reset Update checkbox.
- To start the download, click Get Updates.
If the error persists, move on to the next method.
You may also Read :
Method 2. Fix the company file path manually
To fix the company file path manually, find your ND file and then configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
- Move to your server computer and open File Explorer.
- Look for the QuickBooks folder.
- Find the company file name having .ND at the end.
- Right-click on the file and choose Delete.
Now, configure Database Server Manager:
- Download and install QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Go to your server computer and select the Windows Start menu.
- Search and open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Open the folder holding the company file.
- Click Start Scan.
- Scan the company files and click Close.
- Set folder permissions to share the company files.
- Open QuickBooks.
If you still get the same error, proceed to the next method.
Method 3. Run QuickBooks File Doctor
Download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub on your workstation to run the tool:
- Exit QuickBooks.
- Get the most recent version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Go to Downloads.
- Then, open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Install the tool hub by following the prompt steps.
- Also, agree to the terms and conditions.
- When the installation completes, the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon will appear on the desktop.
- Open the tool hub and choose the Company File Issues tab.
- Click Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Choose the company file from the drop-down menu.
- If the file is not visible, click Browse and search the file.
- Select the Check you file option and click Continue.
- Enter log in details and click OK.
Method 4. Move your company file to the local hard drive
Perform the troubleshooting steps below on the server computer:
- Click on the Start menu.
- Open File Explorer and search for the QuickBooks folder.
- Search for the company file with the .qbw extension.
- Note down the driver name and file location.
- Move your company file to C: drive.
- Now, you can create a portable company file.
That’s all about QuickBooks error 6177. We hope you find the article informative and helpful in resolving the error. If the error doesn’t fix after troubleshooting, get in touch with the QuickBooks technical support team by calling us on our helpline number +1-800-579-9430.
Related Article :